According to the HSE, they are intended to simplify the mandatory reporting of workplace injuries for businesses. The changes affect all employers - including the self-employed.
The main changes are in the following areas:
- The classification of 'major injuries' to workers replaced with a shorter list of 'specified injuries'
- The existing schedule detailing 47 types of industrial disease replaced with eight categories of reportable work-related illness
- Fewer types of 'dangerous occurrence' require reporting
There are no significant changes to the reporting requirements for:
- Fatal accidents
- Accidents to non-workers (members of the public)
- Accidents resulting in a worker being unable to perform their normal range of duties for more than seven days
To read more about the changes click here.